Friday, March 31, 2006

Cherry Blossoms

When I was in Washington D.C. last weekend, lots of people recommended that I visit the Cherry Blossom Festival held in downtown Washington D.C. every year.

It is held to celeberate the coming of Spring, signified by the blossoming of the Japanese cherry trees gifted to the US by the Mayor of Tokyo in 1912.

The cherry blossoms were nowhere to be seen. The celeberations, of which a kite festival was a part, were a tad early.


A kite festival seems right to welcome the new phase of the year. People can move around outdoors after a cold winter and actually have a wonderful day, the kites symbolising the freedom they have.

Oh, to soar like a kite in the wind, the brilliant blue beckoning it to
have a dance with the pure white.

Rarely do we feel such freedom in our hearts and those moments are something to cherish for a long long time.

I feel it today. The trip to Washington D.C. gave me reason to feel so.

Do I want to be a kite? Kites have a string attached after all and me, I have a past. Kites can't fly without that string and neither can I without my past.

A gesture of appreciation to all those who are that string.

No comments: